Build a better garden by learning:
• HOW to make your pollinator garden a true butterfly garden
• which flowers are useful to butterflies
• why planting more flowers usually won't increase the number of butterflies in your yard
• the importance of "right place, right plant"
• purchase everything you need to get started!
Vinland Valley Nursery has been growing plants just south of Lawrence since 1998, and is the area's only retail greenhouse and nursery growing plants and offering maintenance services using only organic methods. Vinland Valley Nursery has been certified as Monarch Waystation #1085 since 2007. Specializing in native plants, VVN offers an extensive list of perennials and woodies, and owners Doug Davison and Amy Albright like to say every day is a native plant sale!
Lenora Larson is a Master Gardener and member of the Idalia Butterfly Society and Kansas Native Plant Society. Lenora is a proud 'science geek' with a degree in microbiology from Michigan State University, a career in molecular biology and a life-long interest in wildlife. She maintains a 2 acre NABA certified garden, Long Lips Farm, in rural Paola that is a certified Monarch Waystation #875, NWF Wildlife Habitat and Xerces Society Pollinator Garden. She writes about butterflies for several publications and is a frequent enthusiastic presenter to gardening and nature groups. She is on a mission to demonstrate to other gardeners that you do not have to compromise on beauty and function when you invite wildlife to share your garden.
On hand for visitors:
• Free handouts about butterfly gardening, including a list of host plants matched to relevant species of butterfly
• purchase YOUR COPY OF "A Photographic Field Guide to the Butterflies in the Kansas City Region" by Betsy Betros
• purchase plants and other supplies to create your butterfly habitat - special discounts will be available
In addition the nursery will have pottery, hanging baskets and other gifts specially priced for mom!